Century of Eyecare
From our beginnings in 1898 to our modern practice, the Denver Eye Clinic has been a cornerstone of the Denver community. The practice is the oldest continuous eye surgery clinic in Colorado. Our founders, Edward Jackson, M.D. and Donald O'Rourke, M.D. were pioneers in the field, each developing tools and techniques that are still standards in modern Ophthalmology practice.
Arthur G. Starr, M.D. joined the Denver Eye Clinic in 1949. He performed the first corneal transplant in Denver at Mercy Hospital and was one of the pioneers in the area of intraocular lens implantation during cataract surgery. He participated in many of the investigational studies for these lenses. Today, cataract extractions with lenses implants are a standard in the industry.
James M. Woodward, Jr., M.D. another physician that contributed significantly to the Denver Eye Clinic's history joined the practice in 1962 after a successful career in the military where he was an Ophthalmological consultant to the Surgeon General.